Ingredients (serves 4 as a side salad)
- 250g beetroot
- 4 medium size tomatoes, cut into eighths
- 1/2 cucumber, sliced 2cm thick and quartered
- small handful of dill, roughly chopped or torn
- 2 tsp malt vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- small pinch of Muscovado sugar (optional)
- salt and pepper
- If you’re using fresh beetroot, boil in their skins until tender (approx 40 mins), then remove skins and chop into 2 cm cubes.
- Mix in with dill, cucumber and tomato.
- Whisk up vinegar, oil, sugar and seasoning.
- Drizzle dressing over salad before serving.
Thrifty meal tips
- If you don’t have fresh beetroot, use plain vacuum packed beetroot (not the one in vinegar).
- If you don’t have dill, the next best thing is fennel herb, or a few fronds from the top of vegetable fennel. If you don’t have either of those, try chervil, parsley or coriander.
- This salad works nicely with cheap old malt vinegar, but any other vinegar will do.
- Turn the recipe into a main course salad for two people by adding a pack of economy smoked salmon pieces and some bread.
- This salad also goes well with goat cheese, herby cheese, sardines on toast, poached salmon, or leftover beef for a thrifty supper.