This is a great way to turn sprouting broccoli or tenderstem broccoli into a delicious side dish. It looks and tastes luxurious but it’s also very economical, ideal for any cash-strapped dinner party host.
Ingredients (serves 4 as a side dish)
- 400g sprouting broccoli
- 1 level teaspoon smooth mustard
- 30ml sunflower oil
- 1 teaspoon poppy or black onion seeds
- Steam the broccoli until just tender (2-4 minutes depending on thickness), then drain.
- Mix together the mustard, oil and seeds, keeping 1 teaspoon back for garnish.
- Gently mix the warm broccoli with the dressing, until each stem is lightly coated.
- Serve with the reserved garnish drizzled on the top.
Makes a great side dish for oily fish, beef, pork, or vegetarian sausages.
Thrifty meal tips
- If you don’t have sprouting broccoli, this dish works nicely with ordinary calabrese broccoli, cauliflower, turnips, winter Savoy-type cabbage, Spring greens or French beans.
- No sunflower oil? Don’t worry, any light vegetable or nut oil can be used.
- If you don’t have poppy or onion seeds, you can use a few sesame or sunflower seeds.
- If you only have wholegrain mustard, use a teaspoon and a half of it, and omit the poppy/onion seeds.
- To turn the recipe into a low-cost main meal for two, add a fried onion, 100g of leftover potatoes or other vegetables, and some shredded leftover meat or cooked veggie rashers.