This is one of the all-time great party dips, and it’s very easy to make your own version at home. That way you can get the level of chilli hotness exactly how you like it.
- 1 large handful of tomatoes
- 1 small bunch of fresh coriander
- 1 small onion
- 2-4 jalapeno chillies
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp tomato puree (optional)
1. Roughly chop all tomatoes and coriander, and mix with a finely chopped onion.
2. Check your chillies for heat, adding more if you want a hotter salsa.
3. Add salt and pepper to taste, and the tomato puree if using, then mix and serve.
Thrifty meal tips
- This is a great way to use up a glut of tomatoes.
- To get more heat out of a chilli, include the seeds.
- If you don’t have jalapenos, most mild or medium hot chillies can be used instead.
- For a smoother texture, use a blender or food processor.
- If you don’t have fresh coriander, use a shake of ground coriander and some fresh parsley.
- If you’re going to eat the salsa immediately, you can omit the tomato puree.