Time to get stuck into that huge collection of pumpkins! First of all, here’s the recipe for a filling, warming pumpkin soup.
Ingredients (makes 4 large bowls)
- 400g of peeled, deseeded and diced pumpkin
- 1 tpsp sunflower oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- Lots of freshly ground black pepper
- 800ml vegetable stock
- Bay leaf
- 2 sprigs of rosemary
- Pumpkin seeds to garnish (optional)
- Sweat the onion in the vegetable oil over a low heat for 7 minutes until it starts to turn translucent, then add the garlic and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Add the diced pumpkin and sweat for another five minutes before adding the spices.
- Cook out the spices for a couple of minutes before adding the vegetable stock, bay leaf and rosemary, then simmer gently for 20 minutes or until the pumpkin is tender. Remove herbs.
- Puree in a heatproof blender or push through a sieve to make a smooth soup, then serve with pumpkin seeds on top.
Thrifty meal tips
- If you are cooking home grown pumpkins, most varieties have edible seeds – make the most of those for the garnish or a snack.
- You can use a little chilli (fresh or dried) instead of smoked paprika.
- You can make the soup go further by adding a peeled and diced potato or two, or some carrots, if you don’t have lots of pumpkin.
- Freezes well.